Animal Therapy Systems

Animal Therapy Systems is The Exclusive Distributor of the Animal Calibrated Electro-Acuscope/Myopulse Therapy System


imagePotato Richardson climbs toward Watson Monument on SMR Fayette de Cameo on their way to win the 2002 Tevis Cup.

“ My incredible Arabian mare “Fille de Cailana” out of Cailana by Bezatel was basically given up as an endurance horse in 1993. After finishing Tevis (Western States 100 Mile One Day Race) in 5th place in 1993, Fille came up seriously lame a few days later. Since I had been dealing with this recurring, intermittent problem for over 2 years, it seemed like a lost cause. Thanks to Leann Coxey (a student who was attending your Basic Equine Electro-Acuscope/Myoscope Training and Certification at the time), you were referred to me as someone who could maybe help me with Fille’s unsoundness condition. We were able to find the problem, treat her and the rest is history as they say. She has won many races since and in fact won the Tevis Cup in 1998 - she has also never been out of the Top Ten. She is now retired and producing wonderful foals. I could go on and on about the many fantastic results that your equine services have provided me, and anyone that is interested in more details should feel free to contact me by email and we can set up a time to do so! Incidentally, the mare Cammie that you also worked on produced the half Shagya filly Fayette by O’man and she won the coveted Haggin Cup given as the Best Condition Award on the Tevis in 2001, as well as being the 2002 Tevis Cup Champion!

Sincerely with great appreciation and total respect,

— Potato Richardson; 1998 & 2002 Tevis Cup Champion, Sliger Mine Ranch, Greenwood, Ca

Back to Top

Buddy Joslin is an Australian Shepherd/German Shepherd mix and is about 9 years old. We brought Buddy home from the SPCA in July 2000 and he has been an official family member ever since.

Buddy's Story PhotoIn October 2006 Buddy started limping around the house and being very sensitive to his back right leg. We took him to the Vet on 10/24/06 and were told the following:

“He has a torn ligament in his right knee. If we did not have the $3,000.00 surgery (plus recovery time), the injury would saw the remaining good ligament and cause him to put pressure on his other leg which would result in the same injury and create back problems as well”.

It only took one month for all of this to take effect. December was a miserable month for Buddy. He went from being an active outside dog who loved to play to an inside dog with little activity. We had to make sure nobody threw his favorite football, so he wouldn’t try to chase it, because he would regret it right away. He could no longer jump up on the bed or couch. We tried to make him as comfortable as possible.

I heard that my co-worker, Kim Mercer, was really good with animals and that several people had been going to her for treatment and vitamins. So I started telling her about my Buddy. At first she recommended a powder (Free & Easy) a Dynamite product which included glucosamine and a host of all other joint support ingredients, vitamins (Showdown) and giving him buffered aspirin. The vet prescribed Rimadyl, but after researching that product on-line, we thought that it would cause more internal damage than good. She also mentioned that she had an Electro-Acuscope that she thought would be a good treatment protocol for Buddy.

On 1/4/07, Kim started her treatments twice a week. I was very hopeful and skeptical at the same time. I had never heard of an Acuscope and didn’t quite understand how it could heal him if we didn’t have the surgery.

Unfortunately, Buddy just seemed to continue to get worse. He was having a really hard time getting up. He couldn’t stand up long enough to even finish eating his food. There was a time that he would always be by my side and follow me into each room around the house and now he just stayed in one place. It was very difficult to see him be in so much pain.

In February 2007, it finally got to the point where I made arrangements to have Buddy put down. My husband and I agreed to let Kim look at him one more time and tell us what we should do. After looking into his eyes, petting him and doing another Acuscope treatment, she suggested giving him one more week. She said that he just didn’t seem ready to go yet. Kim kept telling us to be patient and that it would take time.

Well it was sure worth the wait because by May 1, 2007 Buddy was doing so well that Kim cut the Acuscope treatments from twice a week to once a week. Then on May 22, 2007, we were so impressed by the results that Acuscope treatments were now going to be only twice a month!!!!!! And now at the beginning of July he is doing well enough to just get a check up each month.

Within 4 months, Buddy can now chase his football again. He feels so good that he can jump on the couch and bed too! He is still a little stiff when he gets up from a lying or sitting down position. But once he up he’s good to go.

After he had his summer haircut we could tell that he lost some weight too. He looked like a brand new dog. You could tell he felt so much better.

In retrospect, it is absolutely unbelievable the progress he was able to make considering how severe his injuries were. I just couldn’t fathom how the Acuscope treatments, mineral powder and vitamins could fix something that supposedly only surgeries could fix.

Kim is not only full of knowledge but a miracle worker as well. We will be forever grateful for all that she has done for our family.

Love, The Joslins

***Submitted with love by Kim Mercer, Certified Animal Acuscope Therapist

Back to Top

After successfully completing my Electro Acuscope training with Joyce Jackson, from Animal Therapy Systems in June of 2004, I was looking for a test case and a challenge and I pretty much got what I asked for when presented with the following case.

Sergei is a 9 yr old, 17 hand, purebred Akhal Teke gelding that in 2002 sustained a rear leg tendon sheath injury during a routine training ride.

The initial injury was damage to the Lateral Collateral Ligament on the left hind in September, 2002. The injury was healing well, but adhesions had developed between the tendon sheath and tendon. When the adhesions tore free it caused significant discomfort. The concern was that as more adhesions tore, damage to the tendon might cause irreparable damage to the tendon. In March, 2003 a decision was made to perform arthroscopy surgery to remove the adhesions.

After a lengthy stall rest, and hand walking he was progressing really well. The owner was hand walking him one morning and he reared, pulled the lead rope of the owners hand and galloped around the pasture for quite some time. Due to the galloping, the insertion points for the arthroscopic surgery opened and filled with fluid which caused swelling in the tendon sheath. The resulting fluid and swelling caused scar tissue to develop in the tendon sheath.

At this point, the vet told the owners that he would be a pasture ornament and could not be ridden again, especially by the owner who at 6’3 is a big man.

Sergei August 2004
Sergei August 2004

Sergie October 2004
Sergei October 2004

By the time I started therapy in August 2004, Sergei had been out to pasture for about 2 ½ years. I diligently started a treatment protocol on Sergei using Acuscope therapy and Dynamite Wound Balm sweats twice a week to address the scar tissue. I initially treated him very aggressively, up to three times a day for the first two weeks. We kept Sergei in a smaller paddock so he could move around freely, but not big enough to get silly. I continued treatment once a week after his initial introduction to Acuscope Therapy. After a couple of months, his readings were indicating another round of daily therapy were needed, he came back to my barn and I was able to treat him once a day for 10 days I really began to see significant improvement. This second round seemed to work well, at this point, his swelling was significantly down and I was able to put him back on a weekly schedule. The weekly schedule continued until May 2005, I checked him every two weeks after that, then every three weeks, and now I pop over there about once a month just to check how he is doing.

I have to say, he has gone beyond what anyone had ever expected, he was put back to work slowly in the Spring of 2005 and is now back at work and on the trail.

After the same vet who declared him “a pasture ornament” who wouldn’t be ridden again, gave him a thorough evaluation in March 2006, he said “wow, go ride that horse”. Needless to say, I was thrilled with his progress as were the owners. Below is a testimonial from them as to their experience with this modality.

“ Sergei is a 9 yr old purebred Akhal Teke gelding that in 2002 sustained a rear leg tendon sheath injury during a routine training ride.  The injury required extensive rehabilitation, surgery and almost a year of stall confinement and hand walking only.  Sergei was near the end of his rehab, when he let my husband know that he had had about enough of the year's worth of confinement by rearing up a breaking free from him as he was being hand walked in our pasture.  Sergei bolted around our pasture like he was qualifying for the Indy 500.  Needless to say, this episode resulted in a complete reversal of all of the benefit the surgery, year long rehab of the soft tissue, repetitive ultrasounds, etc. had done - and more injury to boot!

At this point, all vets consulted basically gave us no hope that Sergei could recover to be considered sound & rideable again.  The fear was there was now so much tissue damage and scar tissue that the tendon could never work properly.  We were told to consider him a pasture ornament only.  And to look at the leg, you could see why the vets were saying that.  

Kim Mercer, who I know from work, mentions that she had recently completed training course on her new acuscope machine.  Once Kim explained to us just exactly what the machine does my husband & I look at her jokingly and say, "boy, do we every have a project horse for you".  Kim explained that she thought she could help Sergei.  My husband and I thought she was out of her mind.  Even Kim was a little taken aback when she initially saw Sergei's leg.  By this time, he had been a very unhappy pasture ornament for about 2 1/2 yrs.  

Kim diligently started a protocol on Sergei that combined the use of the Acuscope machine with Dynamite Wound balm sweats.  For several months, we would watch as Kim worked on Sergei.    Kim had faith in the protocol - always reminding us to be patient, that she knew she was helping Sergei's body to heal itself.  We on the other hand, were convinced by now that she had lost her mind.  But in the end, a year later, we are riding Sergei, a sound horse - as proclaimed by the same vet that thought he would never be sound again.  The very happy ending to this story is that Sergei is by nature a horse that HAS to work.  He is bold and fearless and loves going out and exploring the trails. He is always ready to go and to have lived the rest of his life as a pasture ornament would have been awful for him.

As a postscript, our vet - who was very involved in the training of racehorses prior to and during vet school and who still keeps a couple race horses, has been using a similar Acuscope/Myoscope rehab routine on one of his 3 yr old Thoroughbred race prospects that has sustained a suspensory injury.  I think Kim and acuscope made a believer out of him...”

*** UPDATE – Sergei is doing wonderfully – Below is a recent article in the local newspaper (front page) with Sergei back at work on trail patrol:

Sergie's Back on the Trail!
Click Here for the PDF version of the Article

Back to Top

Sweet Pea receiving treatmentThis is Sweet Pea - a 1 1/2 old Jack Russell. When she was 7 months old, she was hit by a car and needed surgery. She had broken her Pelvis, had a small crack in her spine just between her shoulder blades and broke her Femoral Head on the left side. Needless to say she had to have a FHO (Hip Replacement). Unfortunately, at that time, I had not heard of the Acuscope/Myoscope Treatments. Had I known about and treated her with the Acuscope, her recovery time would probably have been cut in half and the amount of pain would have been significantly less.

Months later when I had saw an ad in the Horse Trader about becoming a Acuscope/Myscope Therapist, I jumped at the chance of becoming one. Not only could I help Sweet Pea with this wonderful instrument, I could help other animals as well. All though Sweet Pea gets around very well most of the time (jumping, running, swimming and playing with her two Lab friends), she still gets sore. With the Acuscope I can administer weekly treatments, which gets her back on track. It has now been 5 months that I have been treating her weekly and you would never now this little dog has a plastic hip! There are times when she plays a little too rough with her buds and I can always tell!! While treating her, I may come across a spot with some inflammation which is indicated in high numbers with the Acuscope. When that happens I formulate my treatments according to the degree of pain and inflammation. Without Acuscope treatments, I know Sweet Pea wouldn't be the happy, active dog she is today!

— Suzanne Weed – Certified Animal Acuscope Therapist

Back to Top

Dear Joyce,

I just want to take a moment of your time to thank you for the work that you did on Jake and Dusty. The work you did was nothing short of a miracle. We are so impressed with the results that we would like to have you schedule a follow up treatment when you have an opening.

The Dynamite products that you suggested have made a dramatic difference in both horses. Dusty’s feet are already softening up to the point that he moves around a lot better. Jake is another story - he feels so good that he thinks he is a stallion. His coat has a shine and texture that I have never seen on him before and his energy level is unbeatable. Once I get all of his muscles toned up again he will be a force to be reckoned with in any arena.

Once again, THANK YOU! You brought back the pleasure of riding to our lives by way of Jake and Dusty. They may not be million dollar horses in some peoples’ eyes, but they are to us, and we wouldn't give them up for any amount of money.

— Larry Bandaccari,  California

Back to Top

I had owned my expensive rodeo barrel horse for about 6 months when he got sore, quit running and definitely quit working. He started running off on the second barrel, which was very out of character for him. My veterinarian did a lameness work up on him, and determined that it was a hock problem. Since I did not wish to inject his hocks unless it was absolutely necessary, my veterinarian recommended that I bring him to you so that you could treat his hocks with the Electro-Acuscope/Myopulse Therapy System.

Upon bringing my horse to you, the first thing that you did was a full body evaluation in which you took readings with the Acuscope all over his body to determine areas of abnormal conductivity. Of course his hocks read low, and to my surprise, his entire left front foot also had abnormal readings.

I took the information that you had gathered back to my veterinarian,  we took radiographs of that foot and discovered that my gelding also had a fractured coffin (pedal) bone! He had not shown any lameness in that area that I could recall, so you can imagine how shocked we were. My veterinarian said that it would take at least 6 months to heal, if it did at all. He wasn’t sure that my horse could ever even be used as a barrel horse again.

At that point, I brought my horse back to you, and you started him on a rehabilitation program that consisted of Electro-Acuscope & Myopulse treatments, and a full line of Dynamite nutritional supplements that are mineral-based and supported his healing process. The results were miraculous!

Needless to say, in 2 ½ months he was completely rehabilitated. My veterinarian went over him with a fine-tooth comb and couldn’t find a problem AT ALL! I have since started barrel racing him again and we are winning almost everywhere we compete.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart Joyce – you gave my horse back to me!

— Randy Carr, Idaho

Back to Top


The day after we returned from taking your class in California, the first thing that we noticed was that you were so right in saying that we would never look at a horse the same way again. No kidding! You were an excellent teacher – you were wonderful! Thank you!

Have had us all (me, dogs, horses) on the Dynamite products for 10 days now and am definitely noticing some changes. The tooth infection that I had while I was at your place has seemed to put itself on hold (according to my dentist that I saw again today). My dog with the chronic colitis is doing much better – her stools are definitely firmer and I have cleaned up her diet like you suggested. The horses love their supplements and my mare with the hormone problems is becoming very “lady-like”.

I’m sure you have had students as excited and enthused as us, but I’ll bet that you’ve never had any more thankful!

Our heartfelt thanks again Joyce – you should be adding patient and gracious to your business card!

— Sue Jones

Back to Top